Sunday, May 06, 2007

Comic-mania

Living in New York is so great! Where else would you read a quote from a gay man about all the eye candy in a comic book store.

From: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/04/books/04comi.html?8bu&emc=bu
Chuck McKinney, 41, a voice-over actor and Web cartoonist, loves Midtown Comics. “The store is big, clean, well stocked and organized; and everyone gets a discount,” he wrote in an e-mail message. “And best of all there are lots of hot, ethnic straight guys to check out while I’m buying my comics.”


And speaking of gay comic book nerds, I am clearly becoming addicted. It all started with the new Buffy comic, which led to a recent purchase of the first Joss Whedon-penned Runaways comic. This, unsurprisingly, led to the purchase of four (count them, FOUR) Runaways back-issue graphic novels (so that I could catch up on the storyline, of course). And now it's looking like I'm about to pick up the first two issues of Loners, which is a new series inspired by a few issues of Runaways.

I clearly have problems. Are there any gay comic book addict groups I can join to help me with this problem? Hey, maybe I'll meet a cute comic nerd at my 12-step program and we'll fall madly in love and have to live in a series of interconnected cardboard boxes under the Verrazano Bridge because we've spent all our money on comics. Or maybe I could just meet a cute Marvel employee and kill two birds with one stone. Note to self: get on that immediately.

No comments: