Monday, May 28, 2007

Finding the balance

Over the past year, I really haven't read as much as I used to. Part of that is because I'm in editorial now. Editors (and their apprentices) don't have the privelege of reading for pleasure as much as your average booknerd. But I've also been neglecting that side of me as well. When you read so much for work, it's hard to make the time for non-work reading. With a lot of my favorite adult authors coming out with books again (it's about that time of year, eh?) I am reminded that I have to give some time to this side of my life. I miss those authors who make me squee with booknerdiness: Kelley Armstrong, Charlaine Harris, Lilith Saintcrow (hi Lili), Tanya Huff, Sharon Shinn, Christopher Rice, and the like.

Now don't get me wrong...I love every single book I have worked on since I started at Little, Brown. I'm very lucky in that sense -- Jen and I have similar (but very broad-ranging) tastes when it comes to books for young readers. But in order to feed the book-loving soul, you have to read some non-work-related stuff, whether that means gory/cheesy true crime novels, Pulitzer prize winning literary fiction or (in my case) dark, urban fantasy. You need to nurture both sides of the fence and not push too much on either side, or things go out of wack. Burnout can happen, or you can fall behind on submissions, or you can miss deadlines. I guess the moral of the story is that you have to make time for the books you really love, because if you don't nurture your passion, it may desert you when you really need it.

Me? I've clearly chosen the workaholic route. My goal going into my second year is to continue working hard, but to not let myself forget about my life outside of work either. I've lost touch with a lot of good friends and a lot of great books because I was so focused and while I want to keep achieving and excelling, I also want to put some life back into my personal life.

I also need to start writing again, but that's a whole 'nother matter entirely...

No comments: