Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Ohmuhgod, I'm opening the floodgates!

Before I end ye old lunch break (must mention that I am on lunch break -- don't want to get in trouble for blogging at work) I must post this.

I am taking a week off in early July, right after I move into a new apartment. In the time when I am not finishing my unpacking and reorganizing (not to mention feeding the Netflix addiction), I plan on doing some non-work related reading. I think I can probably get through 1-3 books in a week's time, if I don't get distracted and if I really get into the stories. I also think one of those books is going to be Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. I know---I can't believe I haven't read it yet either. It's one of the books on my Children's, YA and (all-age groups) Fantasy/Sci-Fi must-read list.

Any suggestions for the other two? I'm thinking I'll probably want to read at least one adult book...probably something dark fantasy-ish. The third one can be a random. But I'd like to open the floor up to suggestions and then, because we're all booknerds here, I'll post my thoughts on each book when I'm done. Doesn't that sound like fun? Well we'll see.

So...any ideas?

3 comments:

alvinaling said...

Since I know you haven't read it yet, ENDER'S GAME!!

Sara Z. said...

have you read Ann Dee Ellis's THIS IS WHAT I DID: yet? I'm sure you have, right? If not you totally should. It will take like an hour. It's SO GOOOOD.

And I second ENDER'S GAME.

Emily Jiang said...

I loved Speak, which I read b/c I recently met LHA. Am currently reading Twisted (not fantasy but good).

One of my favorite dark adult (I think YA ok) fantasy books is Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier. It's a retelling of The Seven Swans fairy tale with an ancient Celtic-based setting. If you're a fan of Sharon Shinn's adult books (I am, too!), I think you might like this one.

Haven't read Ender's Game? Not exactly fantasy, more sci-fi, but definitely a must-read-some-time-in-your-life-time book.

Good luck on your move and reading!